Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Day

Out with the old and in with the new. Twenty Ten. One of my goals for the new year is to begin this blog, and to document the struggle to maintain an attitude of gratitude in a world that constantly tells us we don't have enough and, that what we do have is substandard and not worth appreciating.

It is a long held belief of mine that to be happy, one must have a deep sense of gratitude; not just for the things we possess, the status we attain, the jobs we hold, the cars we drive, the homes we live in, the people we associate with , the education we complete or the awards on our walls, but for the simplest of gifts and the greatest of gifts, that are not always valued in our culture.

And, so, today I invite you to join me on the road to gratitude. In plenty and in want. May we be like the Apostle Paul who said so eloquently, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything in him who gives me strength. " ...Philippians 4:11-13 NIV

An attitude of gratitude, a grateful heart. That is the goal.

4 comments:

  1. I'm joining you friend!!! Continuing on the road & growing in gr8fulness. Not throwing out all the old; just to keep the reminder of THANK You Lord -i am not what i use to be & You help me on my way. Way too many times ( last year) than i care to say!!! > i was gently "prodded" about my prayer to God for opening my eyes to see, my ears to hear & changing my heart and even if He never did another thing the awesomeness of that is enough. So yeah!!! we continue to struggle but we can encourage eachother and bring to remembrance what it's all REALLY about. We are being conformed to the image of Jesus Christ... right? He had no career, marriage, house (tho He has a Mansion in Heaven!)awards, degrees, children to boast His image, investments, retirement, & on & on > as our world esteems.
    God use the simple & so be our best at keeping things simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Susanne! Thanks for the blessing and for travelling with me along the road to the ONE thing that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna, thanks for blogging and you've already blessed me with your 1st blog - I love that verse of Paul's. I strive for contentment - I actually think it's against our base,sinful nature to be content/find contentment and it must be a daily struggle for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do my best to maintain a grateful heart... seeing how blessed we are with a roof over our heads, a way to pay bills, a healthy wonderful little boy and a loving marriage. Yet with all that I still fall short. I look forward to journeying with you.

    ReplyDelete